Locksmith Windows 7
How to use MS DaRT / ERD Commander Locksmith to Change Windows Administrator Passwords
There are many ways to reset or change a lost Administrator or Windows Account passwords in Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7. If you are unable to log on to a system because you have lost the local administrator password or because the administrator password has been locked out, you can use the Locksmith Wizard in ERD Commander / MS DaRT to reset the account password.
Most password resetting methods use a LiveCD where you boot the computer from a CD or USB Flash Drive, and then run a Password Recovery or Resetting tool such as in which can be easily installed on a USB Flash Drive. The computer is booted from the CD or USB Flash Drive, so it’s in a passive state and does not require a password to start – whereupon tools like Locksmith, Offline NT Password Changer or Ophcrack can be employed to change, reset or discover the Adminstrator password
It’s usually easier to change or reset the Administrator password than it is to recover an existing password. Locksmith – part of ERD Commander / MS DaRT is an excellent and simple tool that is run from an ERD Commander MS DaRT live CD, which can be used to reset the Administrator password. Once the main Administrator password has been reset and is known, other account passwords can be changed by starting the computer with the Administrator account.
If you need to recover existing Windows Account passwords
For more information on ERD Comander see:
To change an account password using the Locksmith Wizard:
- Boot your computer with ERD Commander / MS Dart Boot CD – See: Using ERD Commander for Windows XP. You may have to set the boot order in the BIOS first.
- In ERD Commander 5.0 for Windows XP, Click Start, point to System Tools, and then click Locksmith
- or in Ms DaRT 6.0 and 6.5 for Windows Vista and Windows 7 – on the MSDaRT Tools menu, click Locksmith
- Click Next
- In the Account list select the account that you want to modify
- In the New Password box, enter the new password
- In the Confirm Password box, enter the new password again
- Click Next, and then click Finish