Locksmith training online free
Below are some commonly offered online course options for prospective locksmiths.
- Locksmith Fundamentals Course: The focus of this introductory class varies by program, but topics generally include business fundamentals, the basic types of locks and keys, locksmithing lingo and industry techniques. Students taking this course view demonstrations by watching online videos. Required reading generally includes detailed illustrations of lock mechanics and lock picking techniques.
- Lock Design Course: Some programs split this subject into several different courses, each focusing on a different type of lock. Students learn to assemble and take apart these locks, as well as the purpose and function of each individual component. Lock design courses are often taught through step-by-step demonstrations and hands-on study.
- Key and Master Keying Course:This class covers the cutting, design and alignment of keys. Students in this course may learn about the function and creation of master keys and key systems. Tumbler locks and cylinders may also be discussed, as well as the application of specific key systems to real-world situations. This class relies heavily on video demonstrations and illustrated texts.
- Lock Repinning Course: Generally offered at the end of the program, this class covers the repinning procedures used to decode a lock. Since locksmiths are often called when customers are locked out of cars and homes, completion of this class is integral to the success of an aspiring locksmith. Topics include lock drilling techniques and the possibility of forced entry scenarios.
- Modern Alarm Systems Course: In this course students will gain a foundational understanding of the electronic and electrical functions at work in modern building alarms. The course will instruct students in the basic operation of both wired and wireless systems.
- Automotive Locksmithing Course: This course focuses on comparing and contrasting automobile locks from those used in home and building security. Students will learn the different lock configurations and styles used by specific makes and models of automobiles, the theory applied to electronically controlled vehicle security and safety precautions necessary for vehicle airbag systems.
- Decoding, Picking and Emergency Entry Course: In this course students learn the main concepts and practices used for key code systems so they can create and duplicate keys. Detailed instruction is given in basic lockpicking techniques, and emergency entry techniques, procedures, and ethics.
Most online courses are intended for students with no prior experience in the field. The credits earned from completing some classes can be applied towards a home inspection degree program or other related program. While some programs offer a degree upon completion, students who complete online locksmithing courses usually receive a professional certificate or diploma. They are also prepared to start working as independent locksmiths, or they pursue entry-level jobs at hardware stores or key shops. Most online courses require that students have access to a set of tools and a variety of locks and keys, though some provide tools, including the cost in the tuition fee.
Several vocational schools and colleges offer online locksmithing classes covering many facets of locksmithing from basic locks to highly technical security systems. Students will need access to many types of locks and keys, along with tools.